Friday, January 11, 2013

I Made It!

...somehow.  There were moments when I had serious doubts.  Verbal eloquence is beyond me at the moment, so to avoid sentences here are several lists to describe my trip:
Lowlights list:
  • Saying goodbye to my mom and Chris at the airport :'(
  • Upon check-in at SFO, finding out I might not be let into Ukraine without a return ticket
  • Forgetting to print and bring my work contract
  • Having to pay overweight for my plump luggage
  • Going back through security before each of three flights
  • Almost having my knitting needles confiscated at the Warsaw airport.... Worst. Moment. Ever.
  • My program guide arriving 45 minutes late, which I wouldn't mind if I didn't worry I'd be stranded
Highlights list:
  • Sleeping on the long flight from Chicago to Warsaw
  • Hearing a lot of Russian
  • A little boy who rolled his r's so beautifully while speaking Russian
  • First babushka sighting
  • Sitting next to a Lithuanian on one flight
  • Chicago accents
  • Being let into Ukraine even without a return ticket
  • Not losing my luggage at Kiev
 Other list:
  • So many fur coats
  • How TSA handles security for women wearing religious headscarves
  • The high heels Ukrainian women wear in the snow...
  • The very different type of physical contact between people in Eastern Europe
Picture list:
  • Keeping distracted during the first layover..........

  • Poland!  Seen from the plane

  • My first sight of Ukraine, from the plane during taxi.  That's all snow!


These are just some impressions and experiences that I may expand on later.  It's exciting to be here, although I miss everyone at home terribly. :'(  I wish I could be in multiple places at once!

2 comments:

  1. No knitting in Poland?!?!? I hope you called that a bunch of Wool-knit...

    So very glad to hear you've made it to Kiev, eL! Keep writing, taking pictures, meeting new peoples, and FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE SEEING PICTURES OF YOUR FACE! I WANT MORE OF THOSE NOW!!!!
    Also pictures of the mentioned babuschkas. I want to see!

    And verily my heart almost stopped when I heard about the knitting needles. WHEW!

    I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU! LOOOOOVEEEE!!!!

    ReplyDelete